Germaine de Randamie
Germaine de Randamie is the WIKBA's number
one ranked contender at
63 kg (and under) and she is ranked #1world wide at 59 kg. She will be
fighting for the WIKBA World Muay Thai title in Victorville, California,
USA on November 19, 2005 against Angela Parr.
Germaine, Before we start with questions,
could you tell us a bit about yourself,? Like your
personality type, etc ?
I am Germaine de Randamie, i am 21 years
old, live in the centre of
Holland in the city Utrecht. i am studying psychology, and have my own gym
"Team Germaine". I am the Dutch champion, 3 times the European
champion and a 3 time reigning champion of the world in 2 different weight
1. What made you take up fighting? And how old were you when you started?
my trainer asked me if i wanted to fight someday,
and i said yes, why not? At that time ,i was 15 years old. i had just
turned 16 when i fought my first fight.
2. How does your family feel about you fighting?
My family supports me for 100.000%
3. What is your training schedule like?
I train 6 days a week 2 times a day. That's
different from running and
swimming in the morning and techniques, sparring and pads in the evening.
4. Do you cross train in any other martial arts besides kickboxing?
I also train boxing and wrestling. I'm training
boxing with the former box
trainer of lucia rijker, romeo kensmill.
5. Do you drop weight for your fights, or do you fight at your walk around
I drop some weight for the fight. my walking weight
is around 64/65 kg. but that goes easily, to lose the weight
6. Do you have any special diet?
hahahaha yes i have my mothers cooking. she knows
what i have to eat healthy and very good! she is also my mental coach
7. how may weeks before a fight do you begin training for that
i always train very hard, so i'm always ready to
fight! when i know it early, i start 8 to 6 weeks before the fight. with
8. What is your favorite technique?
watch me ;-)
9. Do you have any other hobbies or interests outside the gym and
fighting? And do you find time to make friendships with people
outside the gym, who are not fighters? Or does the life of a fighter
become the center of your social life also?
Yes, i do got other hobbies. i love walking with my
doggy on the beach, i also love to do wakeboarding with my friends, and
yes, i have enough friends who don't train or fight. But, still training
and fighting is the centre of my life and all my friends respect that.
10. Who is your biggest supporter?
my mom, my father and my brother- and of course, my
11. When was your first fight? And what do you remember most about your
My first fight was 27 may 2000. i was fought against
Lesly van Es from
matuari in Amsterdam, and i still remember everything of the fight
was yesterday. But, i remember all my fights very well.
12. Who would you say was your toughest opponent to date, and why?
Dagmar van Alfen.
that was 26 april 2002 in Madrid, that was my first
A-klasse fight i moved from c-klasse to a-klasse so it also was my first
time 5 rounds and Dagmar was 5 kilograms heavy than I.
13. Are you ever nervous before a fight? And if so, how do you deal with
I'm not nervous before a fight ,just normal
adrenalin. I just relax, go to
the beach with my dog, or have some fun with my friends. I just
train hard and i'm READY.
14. What advice would you have for a beginner who is preparing for her
very first fight and who is extremely anxious or nervous?
Try to relax do some things you like to do! If you
have trained hard for the fight, then you know what you can do, and try to
give the best of your self! and may the best fighter win.
15. I am going to mention a few names, and I want you
to tell me the first thing that comes into your mind,
when you think of these persons:
a. Asako Saioka:
Respect. she can take a lot!
b. Brenda Duyneveld:
c. Dina Pedro:
Smart fighter, but does not want to fight !
e. Fiona Hayes:
Has a nice ram muay, was a short fight
f. Shelley Nisbett:
I heard about her, don't know her
g. Tricia McKeary:
Respect: she fights against everybody no matter how
is, we will fight 17 december 2005.
h. Karen Ousey:
I heard a lot about her, hope to fight
i. Marjoline Hulshoff:
16. You have fought in Thailand and won a gold medal. What did you think
about the style of the Thai fighters? In what ways are they different from
the fighters of other countries that you have fought?
I think the Thai style is a great style, but i also
think tempo is too slow,
they start to slow in the fight, but the style is ok! Fighters from other
countries sometimes try to fight the thai style, but on a higher
much better. But, it was a great experience to fight in Thailand and to
train there .
17. Some people say the Dutch women are the best kickboxers.
is there anything different about the style of the Dutch fighters,
from fighters in other countries?
I don't think better is the right word, I just think
the Dutch women give a
lot to be at the top of the world.
18. Are there any up and coming Dutch women we should be aware of?
Kim "dominator" van der stam
Dagmar van alfen.
they both train in my gym and they are both A-classe fighters.
19. What has been your most satisfying achievement so far, as a fighter?
To become the world champion in 2 different weight classes -61 and -63,5
kg that was a dream come true . that was in my fight against Asako Saioka,
9 april 2005 , in Amsterdam. i was already 2 times world champion 63,5 kg
and in that fight i became also the world champion in -61 kg .
20. What is your ultimate goal as a fighter?
I want to try to stay the undefeated world champion
in 2 different weight
21. What would you like to do after you retire from fighting?
To create champions in my own gym. Team
22. what can be done to increase the popularity and growth of women's
kickboxing, in your opinion?
Promotors also have to organize K-1 for women in
different weight classes. or place them on big shows. and the have to
respect us more because we also train very hard maybe harder then a male
to get to the top.
23. You have never lost a fight, and may people feel that you are the best
female fighter in the world today. How does it make you feel feel to have
people saying such things about you at such a young age? Does it put a
lot of pressure on you? Or does it give you extra confidence?
I don't feel like i'm the best, every fight is a
fight and the moment will
decide how is the best at that moment.
24. You are fighting Angela Parr in Victorville California on November
19th, 2005 for the WIKBA and IKKC world titles. She is regarded by many
experts as the greatest of all American Muay Thai fighters. How does it
feel to be fighting a legend in her home country and home town?
Its feels great, and I'm really looking forward to
the fight. a fight is a
fight and it doesn't matter where to fight. The best fighter will win!
25. Will any of your friends, fans or family members be making the trip
with you, to give you support?
YES, my mom and brother and some friends will be
traveling with me to
26. Is there anything else you would like to say to fans all around the
Yes, I would like to thank them for always standing
behind me and
supporting me. and I hope that i can give you many more beautiful fights.
Thank you for your time, and good luck in Victorville on November 19th!
To Contact Germaine de Randamie for fights, or to see her
personal contact information click
Home Profiles Great KO's The Gallery